23 August 2007

Moments in Toast History


Orville Wright had a penchant for our favorite means of preparing and consuming bread:

Fond of toast, he developed two special implements to guarantee a perfect product every time: a gauge to ensure that each slice of bread was cut to a precise thickness, and a toaster, constructed of two sheets of metal, to compress each slice as it was toasting (Tom Crouch, The Bishop's Boys: A Life of Wilbur and Orville Wright, 479).


Just thought you'd like to know.

8 comments:

Christina said...

That's it? Three months and then this? Well, I suppose it's all that one could expect from a toast afficionado such as yourself. Bully!

Asian Keng said...

That is one of the singularly most asthetically beautiful photographs I have ever seen. I guess I can't spell aesthetic correctly. Oh wait, there it is...

PS word verification stinks.

becks said...

So my toaster broke the other day and I need to buy a new one:( Are there any models in particular you'd recommend?

Cabeza said...

Warren, our old roommate Jon, and I had a Proctor-Silex that did triple duty toasting for a long time. I believe that ol' Parley is still in service.

Unknown said...

Ah, toast.

Warren said...

We also enjoyed the "unislot" toaster. We would cut a whole loaf of bread the long way and have a gigantic piece of toast.

The Shark said...

Warren, didn't you only do that once?

Anonymous said...

Most of you wouldn't know that we are dealing here with a closet "food artist". Toast is only one of the mediums that Jared works in.
As Jareds Dad, I have sat mezmerised while all of us at the table ate our food, only to discover that Jared was making artwork with his hamburger patty, pickles, etc.
I have saved some photographs of some of his artworks (or are they "foodworks") that I am auctioning off in New York.